We are pleased to present a selection of learning programs for the Columbia University Irving Medical Center (CUIMC) community, and we look forward to your participation.
We offer a wide range of courses listed below. To register, please click on the course name, and you will be prompted to log in to our Enterprise Learning Management (ELM) system, where upcoming sessions will be listed. Please keep the following in mind:
- Some courses may not have current sessions.
- For classroom courses, click the “View Classes” button to enroll. If you do not see any sessions listed, click on the blue link to "Find more Classes" at the bottom of the list.
- Click the “Launch" button to start the training for online courses.
- If you need a customized training program on any topic and have 12 or more employees, please contact email@example.com to schedule.
- Developing Agility as a Leader: This course aims to provide managers with a framework and specific skills for enabling their teams to adapt to rapid change through agility.
- Building Team Resilience: This course aims to provide managers with guidelines and practical techniques for building resilience at the individual and team levels.
- Delegation: This course aims to provide an overview of delegation best practices with strategies and tips on empowering others.
- Giving Effective Feedback: This training aims to help you acquire the knowledge and skills necessary to provide effective feedback to the individuals you lead. This course is intended for managers at CUIMC. Learning objectives include:
- Discuss the benefits and costs of communicating feedback
- Define the different types of feedback and why they are used
- Identify factors to consider before giving constructive feedback
- Study and practice an effective technique for giving constructive feedback
- Remote Work Skills Module 1: Introduction: This is the first module in the Remote Work Skills micro-learning series. In this module, we'll discuss trends indicating an increase in remote work, differences between remote and in-office work, and remote work skills.
- Remote Work Skills Module 2: Organizational Skills: This is the second module in the Remote Work Skills micro-learning series. In this module, we'll discuss critical remote work skills and tools for applying them effectively. You'll also have an opportunity to complete an anonymous self-assessment of your current remote organizational skills.
- Remote Work Skills Module 3: Communication: This is the third module in the Remote Work Skills micro-learning series. In this module, we'll identify the challenges of remote communication and key skills. You'll also be able to respond to a scenario to determine when to use the skills discussed.
- Remote Work Skills Module 4: Using Technology: This is the fourth module in the Remote Work Skills micro-learning series. This module will discuss critical remote work technology skills and identify resources to help you perform those skills.
- Remote Work Skills Module 5: Maintaining Work-Life Balance: This is the fifth module in the Remote Work Skills micro-learning series. In this module, we'll discuss the unique challenges of maintaining a work-life balance as a remote worker and specific things you can do to overcome these challenges.
- Managing Remote Teams Micro-Learning: Success Factors: This is the first module in the Managing Remote Teams series. In this session, we'll identify trends affecting remote work and success factors. You'll also respond to an interactive scenario to practice recognizing success factors in action.
- Managing Remote Teams Micro-Learning: Preparation: This is the second module in the Managing Remote Teams series. In this session, we'll identify key areas of remote work preparation and actions you can take to plan each area effectively. You'll also take brief quizzes to check your knowledge.
- Managing Remote Teams Micro-Learning: Launching Remote Team Work: This is the third module in the Managing Remote Teams series. In this session, we'll discuss the launch success factors of holding an effective launch meeting and taking follow-up action to ensure the effective implementation of your launch.
- Managing Remote Teams Micro-Learning: Implementing Your Communication Plan: This is the fourth module in the Managing Remote Teams series. In this session, we'll discuss practices for implementing your remote team communication plan and steps for managing virtual meetings effectively.
- Managing Remote Teams Micro-Learning: Managing Performance Remotely: This is the fifth module in the Managing remote Teams series. In this session, we'll discuss the differences in remote work that make performance management challenging and practices for monitoring deliverables, giving feedback, and providing reports to management. You'll also respond to a practice scenario on giving feedback.
- Key Principles of Leading in a Crisis (Session Recording): This is a recording of the webinar session conducted in May 2020. The session discussed the uniqueness of the COVID-19 pandemic and its implications. It also defined the key qualities and skills leaders need to have a positive impact and provided examples of outstanding crisis leadership.
- Maintaining the Mission During a Crisis (Session Recording): This is a recording of the webinar session conducted in May 2020. This session explored why focusing on work unit purpose and morale is critical during a crisis. Participants learned how to build greater emotional awareness and resilience for themselves and their teams. This enables them to better navigate the turbulence around them.
- Communicating During a Crisis (Session Recording): This is a recording of the webinar session conducted in May 2020. This session presented a set of guiding principles for effective crisis communication. It discussed the challenges of communicating under pressure, particularly when so many unknowns exist. The presenters offered various tips for meeting these and other communication challenges.
- Crisis Decision Making (Session Recording): This is a recording of the webinar session conducted in May 2020. The session discussed decision-making pitfalls that are multiplied in a crisis. The presenters suggested ways to overcome these pitfalls, including a step-by-step process for creating and communicating findings. In addition, participants were given tips on how to cope with uncertainty and ambiguity.
- Moving Forward: The Leadership Challenge Ahead (Session Recording): This is a recording of the webinar session conducted in June 2020. The session explored the issue that more people will return to work onsite as we gradually resume operations. But we should expect "business as unusual" for the foreseeable future. The webinar helped participants anticipate the challenges of this uncertain period, understand what resources were available, and get tips on resilience and agility.
- Proactively Responding to Change at CUIMC (for staff) (on demand): Become adept at navigating change and taking a proactive stance. Assess your readiness to transition and explore tips for moving toward supporting anticipated changes (Staff and Manager versions of this online program are available).
- Relieving Stress at CUIMC (on demand): Try some approaches to recognizing, preventing, and managing stress to see if they might work for you. Resources are provided for additional support on any of the presented topics.
- Time Management at CUIMC (on demand): Assess your time management skills and explore resources and tips that can assist you in those areas identified as challenges.
- Worthwhile Meetings (on demand): Holding a worthwhile meeting takes effort and knowledge of some well-researched best practices. This course will help you to identify and commit to best practices to prepare for, run, and follow up on a productive meeting. Additional meeting management resources are provided. This course is prework for Worthwhile Meetings: Advanced Skills.