New Hire Checklist
Starting any new position can feel stressful. The Human Resources Department at Columbia University Irving Medical Center (CUIMC) simplifies the process with these easy steps for new employees and their managers.
New hires can follow these steps for a smooth onboarding process.
- Complete your I-9: Schedule an appointment to complete your I-9 Section 2 as soon as possible.
- Activate your UNI: If your supervisor has obtained your UNI, please activate your account.
- Follow COVID-19 protocols: Review CUIMC’s resources and requirements:
- COVID-19 Campus Resource Guide - Updated March 2022
- Campus Safety Procedures for Newly Hired / Returning Faculty and Staff - Updated March 2022
- COVID Testing Procedures for New Hires
- Register for Welcome Program: Orientation is an opportunity to explore life and resources at Columbia. It is strongly recommended that new hires register to attend orientation within the first 30 days of being hired, as close to their first day of work as possible.
- Schedule medical clearance appointment: The CUIMC medical surveillance program applies to certain healthcare workers at risk of acquiring and transmitting disease to patients, visitors, and colleagues due to workplace exposures. If your position requires medical surveillance, your manager will notify you and schedule an appointment.
Supervisors can follow these steps for posting positions and onboarding new employees.
- Post a position: Access your dashboard for posting a position on TalentLink. You can also access SkillSurvey Pre-Hire 360.
- Request Epic access: Request Epic access for new employees, which includes requesting CWIDs, Epic training, and Epic access for ColumbiaDoctors and Service Corp staff.
- Register for Welcome Program: Use this orientation registration form for your new hire. These registration forms close every Friday at noon. Please check back on Monday to submit your form.
- Register for medical surveillance: Use this medical surveillance registration form for your new hire. These registration forms close every Friday at noon. Please check back on Monday to submit your form.
- Obtain Columbia UNI: The CUIMC HR UNI System assists managers in obtaining a Columbia UNI for their newly hired staff.