Joel Stein, M.D.
- Professor of Rehabilitation and Regenerative Medicine at Weill Cornell Medical College
- Simon Baruch Professor and Chair of Rehabilitation Medicine
- Chairman of Rehabilitation Medicine
- Professor of Rehabilitation Medicine
Current Administrative Positions
- Chair, Department of Rehabilitation and Regenerative Medicine
This provider accepts new patients
Appointment Phone Number: (212) 305-4818
Physiatrist-in-Chief and Chairman
Dr. Stein obtained his undergraduate degree from Columbia University, and his MD from the Albert Einstein College of Medicine. He completed a residency in Internal Medicine at Montefiore Hospital in the Bronx, followed by a residency in Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation at NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital. Dr. Stein was a member of the medical staff at Spaulding Rehabilitation Hospital in Boston for 16 years, where he served as Chief Medical Officer from 2000 onward, and was the medical director of the stroke rehabilitation program. He also served as a member of the faculty at Harvard Medical School.
In September 2008, Dr. Stein was appointed Physiatrist-in-Chief at NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital, as well as Professor and Chair of the Department of Rehabilitation Medicine at the Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, and as Professor and Chairman of the Department of Rehabilitation Medicine at Weill Cornell Medical College.
Dr. Stein’s clinical and research interests are in the area of stroke rehabilitation. He has had a particular focus on the use of exercise as a treatment, and on the use of robotic and other technologies to facilitate recovery of motor function after stroke. He has authored or coauthored two books on stroke recovery and rehabilitation for stroke survivors and their families, and edited a multi-authored medical textbook on this subject entitled “Stroke Recovery and Rehabilitation.”
We are proud to provide compassionate, patient-centered care for individuals with stroke, multiple sclerosis, and other neurological disorders to make certain they receive the best rehabilitative care available.“
- Internal Medicine
- Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
Areas of Expertise
- Multiple Sclerosis
- Neurological Rehabilitation
- Stroke Rehabilitation
Education and Training
- Albert Einstein College of Medicine
- BA, 1982 Columbia University, New York, NY
- MD, 1986 Albert Einstein College of Medicine of Yeshiva University
- Internship: Montefiore Medical Center
- Residency: Montefiore / Montefiore Hospital
- Residency: NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital/Columbia University Medical Center
- Residency: Montefiore Medical Center
CUIMC/Harkness Pavilion180 Fort Washington Avenue
New York, NY 10032
- (212) 305-3535
- NewYork-Presbyterian / Columbia University Irving Medical Center
- NewYork-Presbyterian Lawrence Hospital
- NewYork-Presbyterian / Weill Cornell Medical Center
- NewYork-Presbyterian Brooklyn Methodist Hospital
Please contact the provider's office directly to verify that your particular insurance is accepted.
- AETNA [Aetna Signature Administrators, EPO, Medicare Managed Care, NYP Employee Plan, NY Signature, POS, Student Health]
- Affinity Health Plan [Essential Plan, Medicaid Managed Care]
- AgeWell [Medicare Managed Care, Special Needs]
- Amida Care [Special Needs]
- CIGNA [EPO, Great West (National), HMO, POS, PPO]
- Emblem/GHI [Medicare Managed Care, PPO]
- Emblem/HIP [ConnectiCare, EPO, Essential Plan, HMO, Medicaid Managed Care, Medicare Managed Care, POS, PPO, Select Care (Exchange), Vytra]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [EPO, HMO, Medicare Managed Care]
- Empire Blue Cross Blue Shield HealthPlus [Child/Family Health Plus, Essential Plan, Medicaid Managed Care]
- Fidelis Care [Child/Family Health Plus, Essential Plan, Medicaid Managed Care, Medicare Managed Care]
- Healthfirst [Child/Family Health Plus, Leaf (Exchange), Medicaid Managed Care, Medicare Managed Care]
- Local 1199 [Local 1199]
- MagnaCare (National) [MagnaCare]
- Medicare [Railroad, Traditional Medicare]
- Multiplan [Multiplan]
- MVP Health Care [Child/Family Health Plus, Essential Plan, HMO, Medicaid Managed Care]
- Oxford Health Plans [Freedom, Liberty]
- RiverSpring [Special Needs]
- UnitedHealthcare [Compass (Exchange), Empire Plan, HMO, Medicaid (Community Plan), Medicare Managed Care, POS, PPO]
- VNSNY CHOICE [SelectHealth]
- WellCare [Medicaid Managed Care, Medicare Managed Care]
- (212) 305-4818
Honors and Awards
2007 Partners in Excellence Award.
Awarded to the SRH Computerized Physician Order Entry Support Team for Quality Treatment and Service.
2006 Partners in Excellence Award.
Awarded to MGH/Spaulding Transition Committee by Partners Healthcare for excellence in improving operations.
1998 Partners in Excellence Award.
Awarded to the Spaulding Rehabilitation Hospital Stroke program by Partners Healthcare for programmatic excellence.