Joel Stein, MD
- Professor of Rehabilitation and Regenerative Medicine at Weill Cornell Medical College
- Simon Baruch Professor and Chair of Rehabilitation Medicine
- Chairman of Rehabilitation Medicine
- Professor of Rehabilitation Medicine
Current Administrative Positions
- Chair, Department of Rehabilitation and Regenerative Medicine
This provider accepts new patients
Appointment Phone Number: (212) 305-4818
Physiatrist-in-Chief and Chairman
Dr. Stein obtained his undergraduate degree from Columbia University, and his MD from the Albert Einstein College of Medicine. He completed a residency in Internal Medicine at Montefiore Hospital in the Bronx, followed by a residency in Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation at NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital. Dr. Stein was a member of the medical staff at Spaulding Rehabilitation Hospital in Boston for 16 years, where he served as Chief Medical Officer from 2000 onward, and was the medical director of the stroke rehabilitation program. He also served as a member of the faculty at Harvard Medical School.
In September 2008, Dr. Stein was appointed Physiatrist-in-Chief at NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital, as well as Professor and Chair of the Department of Rehabilitation Medicine at the Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, and as Professor and Chairman of the Department of Rehabilitation Medicine at Weill Cornell Medical College.
Dr. Stein’s clinical and research interests are in the area of stroke rehabilitation. He has had a particular focus on the use of exercise as a treatment, and on the use of robotic and other technologies to facilitate recovery of motor function after stroke. He has authored or coauthored two books on stroke recovery and rehabilitation for stroke survivors and their families, and edited a multi-authored medical textbook on this subject entitled “Stroke Recovery and Rehabilitation.”
We are proud to provide compassionate, patient-centered care for individuals with stroke, multiple sclerosis, and other neurological disorders to make certain they receive the best rehabilitative care available.“
- Internal Medicine
- Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
Areas of Expertise
- Multiple Sclerosis
- Neurological Rehabilitation
- Stroke Rehabilitation
Education and Training
- Albert Einstein College of Medicine
- BA, 1982 Columbia University, New York, NY
- MD, 1986 Albert Einstein College of Medicine of Yeshiva University
- Internship: Montefiore Medical Center
- Residency: Montefiore / Montefiore Hospital
- Residency: NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital/Columbia University Medical Center
- Residency: Montefiore Medical Center
CUIMC/Harkness Pavilion180 Fort Washington Avenue
New York, NY 10032
- (212) 305-3535
- NewYork-Presbyterian / Columbia University Irving Medical Center
- NewYork-Presbyterian Lawrence Hospital
- NewYork-Presbyterian / Weill Cornell Medical Center
- NewYork-Presbyterian Brooklyn Methodist Hospital
Please contact the provider's office directly to verify that your particular insurance is accepted.
- AETNA [Aetna Signature Administrators, EPO, HMO, Medicare Managed Care, NYP Employee Plan, NY Signature, POS, PPO, Student Health]
- Affinity Health Plan [Essential Plan, Medicaid Managed Care]
- AgeWell [Medicare Managed Care, Special Needs]
- Amida Care [Special Needs]
- CIGNA [EPO, Great West (National), HMO, POS, PPO]
- Emblem/GHI [Medicare Managed Care, PPO]
- Emblem/HIP [ConnectiCare, EPO, Essential Plan, HMO, Medicaid Managed Care, Medicare Managed Care, POS, PPO, Select Care (Exchange), Vytra]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [EPO, HMO, Medicare Managed Care, PPO]
- Empire Blue Cross Blue Shield HealthPlus [Child/Family Health Plus, Essential Plan, Medicaid Managed Care]
- Fidelis Care [Child/Family Health Plus, Essential Plan, Medicaid Managed Care, Medicare Managed Care]
- Healthfirst [Child/Family Health Plus, Leaf (Exchange), Medicaid Managed Care, Medicare Managed Care]
- Local 1199 [Local 1199]
- MagnaCare (National) [MagnaCare]
- Medicare [Railroad, Traditional Medicare]
- Multiplan [Multiplan]
- MVP Health Care [Child/Family Health Plus, Essential Plan, HMO, Medicaid Managed Care]
- Oxford Health Plans [Freedom, Liberty]
- RiverSpring [Special Needs]
- UnitedHealthcare [Compass (Exchange), Empire Plan, HMO, Medicaid (Community Plan), Medicare Managed Care, POS, PPO]
- VNSNY CHOICE [Medicare Managed Care, SelectHealth, Special Needs]
- WellCare [Medicaid Managed Care, Medicare Managed Care]
CUIMC/Harkness Pavilion180 Fort Washington Avenue
New York, NY 10032
- (212) 305-4818
Honors and Awards
2007 Partners in Excellence Award.
Awarded to the SRH Computerized Physician Order Entry Support Team for Quality Treatment and Service.
2006 Partners in Excellence Award.
Awarded to MGH/Spaulding Transition Committee by Partners Healthcare for excellence in improving operations.
1998 Partners in Excellence Award.
Awarded to the Spaulding Rehabilitation Hospital Stroke program by Partners Healthcare for programmatic excellence.
DOSING EFFECTS OF AN UPPER EXTREMITY REHABILITATION PROGRAM USING A BRAIN-COMPUTER INTERFACE MEDIATED ROBOTIC HAND ORTHOSIS FOR CHRONIC STROKE PATIENTS: IPSIHAND SYSTEM. (P&S Industry Clinical Trial)
Oct 18 2019 - Oct 18 2024
THE ROLE OF ACTIVATION INDUCED CYTIDINE DEAMINASE IN PESTICIDE-RELATED LYMPHOMAGENESIS (Federal Gov)
Jul 15 2018 - Jul 14 2021
ASPIRIN BEFORE EXERCISE: ANTIPYRETIC PRETREATMENT TO REDUCE EXERCISE-INDUCED OVERHEATING AND EXHAUSTION IN RRMS PATIENTS (Federal Gov)
Apr 1 2019 - Mar 31 2021
GENETICVARIATION, STRESS, AND FUNCTIONAL OUTCOMES AFTER STROKE REHABILITATION (Federal Gov)
Apr 1 2019 - Dec 19 2019
ASSESSING A STROKE HOMEHEALTH AIDE RECOVERY PROGRAM (SHARP) AS A POTENTIAL HIGH IMPACT STRATEGY FOR IMPROVING IN FUNCTIONAL MOBILITY AFTER STROKE (Federal Gov)
Sep 11 2017 - Aug 31 2019
PIVOTALPHASE III, PROSPECTIVE, MULIT CENTER, DOUBLE- BLINDED, RANDOMIZED, SHAM- CONTROLLED TRIAL TO DETERMINE THE THERAPEUTIC EFFECTS OF NAVIGATION GUIDED 1 HZ RTMS ADMINISTERED TO THE CONTRALESIONAL HEMISPHERE AS ADJUVANT TO (P&S Industry Clinical Trial)
Mar 31 2014 - Mar 31 2019
- Stein J, Hughes R, D'Andrea S, Therrien B, Niemi J, Krebs K, Langone L, Harry J. Stochastic resonance stimulation for upper limb rehabilitation post-stroke. Am J Phys Med Rehabil 89:697-705, 2010
- Fasoli SE, Fragala-Pinkham M, Hughes R, Hogan N, Stein J, Krebs HI. Upper limb robot-assisted therapy: A new option for children with hemiplegia. Technology and Disability 22:193-198, 2010
- Page S, Hermann VH, Levine PG, Lewis E, Stein J, Depeel J. Portable Neurorobotics for the Severely Affected Arm in Chronic Stroke: A Case Study. J Neurologic Physical Therapy 35:41-46, 2011
- Stein J, Bishop L, Gillen G, Helbok R. Robot-assisted Exercise for Hand Weakness after Stroke: A Pilot Study. Am J Phys Med Rehabil 90:887-894, 2011.
- Wong CW, Bishop L, Stein J. A wearable robotic knee orthosis for gait training: a case series of hemiparetic stroke survivors. Prosthetics and Orthotics International 36(1):119-126, 2012
- DePietro L, Krebs HI, Volpe, Stein J, Bever C, Mernoff S, Fasoli S, Hogan N. Learning, Not Adaptation, Characterizes Stroke Motor Recovery. IEEE Transactions on Neural Systems and Rehabilitation Engineering 20:48-57, 2012
- Krebs HI, DePietro L, Fasoli S, Fragala M, Hughes R, Stein J, Hogan N. Motor Learning Characterizes Habilitation of Children with Hemiplegic Cerebral Palsy. Neurorehab and Neural Repair DOI: 10.1177/1545968311433427, 26(7): 855-860, 2012.
- Bishop L, Stein J, Wong CK. Robot-aided Gait Training after Spinal Cord Injury: A Case Report. J of Neurologic Phys Therapy 36(3):138-143, 2012
- Schneider JC, Trinh NT, Selleck E, Fregni F, Salles SS, Ryan CM. Stein J. The long-term impact of physical and emotional trauma: The Station nightclub fire. PLoS One 7(10):e47339, 2012. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0047339
- Stein J, Clancy C, Hillinger M. Sexuality After Stroke: Patient counseling preferences. Disability and Rehabilitation 35:1842-1847, 2013
- Nguyen E, Stein J. Functional Outcomes of Adults with Left Ventricular Assist Devices Receiving Inpatient Rehabilitation. PM&R 5:99-103, 2013
- Stein J, Bishop L, Stein DJ, Wong CK. Gait Training with a Robotic Leg Brace after Stroke: A Randomized Controlled Pilot Study. Am J Phys Med Rehabil. 93:987-994, 2014. DOI: 10.1097/PHM.0000000000000119
- Stein J, Prvu Bettger J, Sicklick A, Hedeman R, Magdon-Ismail Z, Schwamm LH. Use of a Standardized Assessment to Predict Rehabilitation Care after Acute Stroke. Archives of PM&R 2015 Feb;96(2):210-7. doi: 10.1016/j.apmr.2014.07.403. Epub 2014 Aug 4.
- Kim GJ, Rivera L, Stein J. A Combined Clinic-Home Approach for Upper Limb Robotic Therapy after Stroke: A Pilot Study. Archives of PM&R 2015. 96(12):2243-2248.
- Magdon-Ismail Z, Sicklick A, Hedeman R, Bettger JP, Stein J. Selection of Post-Acute Stroke Rehabilitation Facilities: A Survey of Discharge Planners from the Northeast Cerebrovascular Consortium (NECC) Region. Medicine (in press)