Continue recovering from COVID-19 with an Outpatient Rehabilitation Program
Please reach out to schedule an in-office or video visit with a physician in the Department of Rehabilitation and Regenerative Medicine:
Columbia University Irving Medical Center
A Structured Rehabilitation Program Focused On:
- Recovering from COVID-19 can be a gradual process. Upon discharge from the hospital you may feel fatigue, weakness, and shortness of breath, among other symptoms, as you continue to recover at home.
- These symptoms may make it more difficult to return to your normal activites of daily living and you may have many questions about your illness as you transition back home.
- A team consisting of a rehabilitation doctor as well as a physical, occupational, or speech therapist can help you regain your strength and address your individual medical needs during your stages of recovery.
- To strengthen the muscles of your chest as you recover from your lung infection. This will include guidance on using your incentive spirometer device which helps to open up the airspaces in your lungs.
Muscle Strengthening Exercises
- To address generalized muscle weakness and muscle loss that can occur after a lengthy hospital stay.
Activities of Daily Living
- Our therapists will tailor exercises to help you safely complete your daily activities as you return to your home.
Swallowing Exercises and/or Dietary Modifications
- If you required treatment with a ventilator during your hospitalization you may be having some difficulty with swallowing certain kinds of food.
- After discharge from the hospital, a rehabilitation doctor will evaluate you via a telehealth video visit. This will allow you to stay home, while continuing to receive the medical care that you need.
- This will be followed by a telehealth therapy evaluation that will allow you to begin a home-based exercise program with telemonitoring.
- Your physician and therapy team will monitor you for symptoms and ensure that you have an exercise program that you can complete safely in your home.
Our physicians have also put together a Guide to COVID-19 Rehabilitation (Recuperación de COVID-19: Una guía para el paciente), which are some things you can do at home to aid in your physical and mental recovery.
We appreciate the opportunity to participate in your care, and wish you the best going forward.